With 2011 underway, I’m already looking forward to the new Mountain Biking World Cup season – click here to see the official UCI calendar.
Will be a great season – with the usual suspects battling out :
- Gee Atherton – defending World Cup winner
- Sam Hill – current World Champion
- Greg Minnaar – 2nd for the season to Gee Atherton by 2.47 seconds !
- Brendan Fairclough
- Steve Peat
- Bryn Atkinson
- Aaron Gwin
- Sam Blenkinsop
- Troy Brosnan – Aussie whiz kid, current junior world champion
- Mick Hannah
- …and many others…
Not to forget Rachel Atherton – back from injury – and Dan Atherton, after nearly breaking his neck in a stunts jump in August/September 2010…
The events don’t start until April – with the first round in South Africa – home ground advantage to Greg Minnaar perhaps ??
Last year, I’d added each World Cup event to my “calendar” in Microsoft Outlook – and so I thought I’d do the same again this year.
If you want to add these to YOUR calendar – just click below – and choose “Open” (.ICS format)
- UCI World Cup DH – Round 1 – Pietermaritzburg
- UCI World Cup DH – Round 2 – Fort William
- UCI World Cup DH – Round 3 – Leogang
- UCI World Cup DH – Round 4 – Mont Sainte Anne
- UCI World Cup DH – Round 5 – Windham
- UCI World Cup DH – Round 6 – La Bresse
- UCI World Cup DH – Round 7 – Val di Sole
Of course, there’s a bunch of pre-season training underway (no doubt) – with the European winter making for fun & games in the snow.
The Atherton’s are training in Los Angeles at the moment – with a trip to New Zealand after that – some of the best trails in the world – many of which are deserving of a World Cup round event – perhaps in 2012 ?
Speaking of training, I’m starting to get ready for my 1st ever Mountain Biking Cross Country event – one of my 2011 New Year’s plans.
The Nemesis Marathon Challenge is being held in Avoca, in April.
I’m planning to ride in the 45km event – with a goal of “under 4 hours”.
** Training will include some rides to/from work – for endurance and cardio – as well as many more laps of my favourite Lysterfield Lake circuit.
Also – will be hitting up the Granite Trail at Lake Mountain for a try-out – as well as some biking in Seattle – when I visit America for the 2011 MVP Summit – w00t !