We now have a family of THREE boys !
Charlie Jacob O’Connor was born on Sunday 28th June, about 9.30 pm.
Without any specific “gory” details, here’s a brief run-down on “his arrival” – more for us to remember, than for other folk to read :
- Charlie was originally due on Tuesday June 23rd – I’d been working from home for a most of that week, in case he was “on time”
- He turned out to be 5 days late – Donna was just “wanting him OUT !” by then
- Donna started up with some contractions around 2 am Sunday morning – on-off for the rest of the night – she managed some sleep/rest
- 10am – took the lads (Cameron & Liam) to their Grandma’s
- Donna and I went for a walk to the shops and back – to help kick-on the labour that was only just starting up
- Home and into a hot bath – about 10-15 mins apart
- About 5 pm, left for the hospital
- Checked into the same room that Cameron was born (!)
- About an hour later, someone must have yelled “action !” – the hard bit began
- Charlie was born about 9.30 pm – a stellar effort from Donna !!
The weight of the lad was amazing – he was 10 lbs 10 oz ! (OMG !)
In contrast, Cameron was born as 7 lbs 14 oz – and Liam was 8 lbs 12 oz. This time, we (she) skipped the 9 lbs range – and got a 10 ! Two 10’s !
After we’d shared some quiet time with the new lad, we rang the parents, sent some SMS’es – and updated both FaceBook and Twitter ! (ha ha !)
It’s near enough to five days ago, and I still haven’t blogged about it ! (shame, GW, shame)
OK – so I’m a nerd ! Was laughing with Donna about it – Cameron had a new email address, and MSDN membership (& blog post) before he came home from the hospital – and Liam had a YouTube video clip uploaded in his first few days.
Charlie has been born in the era of Twitter & FaceBook – so THAT was how the news broke – and lots of comments / replies – many THANKS everyone !
Monday – I collected Cameron & Liam from Grandma’s – to go meet their new brother. Cameron was super-excited, and was punching the air in the car on the way there – “I can’t wait, I can’t wait !!”
When he gave him a first cuddle, he looked at him with such wonder and delight – and I asked him what he was thinking & feeling – he said “my heart is smiling…”
*aaww* Won’t be long till they’re battling & wrestling, but was such a lovely thing to say about meeting his new little brother.
Liam ? Well, he crawled under the bed, and then bumped his head on the tray table – and went for a run up the hallway. But, he’s now been saying “cha-wee” – and “bay-bee ?” – so he’s liking him too.
We’ve had a few people ask about the name, and so :
- NO – it’s not Charles, his name on the birth certificate is Charlie
- NO – it’s not because of LOST – sure we liked Charlie in the show – and yes there is a Jacob too – but none of those reasons
- NO – was nothing to do with Charli from Hi-5 – who is a GIRL !! Although, Cameron had been wanting a sister, and loves Hi-5 – we probably would’ve still gone with Charli (without an E)
- NO – was nothing to do with Charlie Chaplin
- NO – was nothing to do with Charlie Brown – although I do love Snoopy & Woodstock
- NO – was nothing to do with Charlie Bucket from Charlie & the Chocolate Factory – although he is a very good “character”
- NO – was nothing to do with Charlie from Two And A Half Men or Charlie Sheen (!)
- NO – was nothing to do with Charlie Clouser – although he was a member of Nine Inch Nails for 6 years – and mixed albums for Helmet, DefTones, White Zombie, etc. Well – maybe just a little. he he
We just liked the name Charlie – and fits nicely with the other lads – sound nice :
Cameron, Liam – and Charlie…
- Donna’s grandma was Jacomina – a Dutch version of Jacquie, or something close to that.
- We’d always planned to use that name (Jacomina) as her middle name – but we’ve never had a girl !
- So – we changed to the male version – Jacob
- Also – my grandfather was Jack O’Connor
- …and my cousin’s son is also Jack – so it’s basically a “family name”.
He’s settling in well at home – good feeding & sleeping – has been an easy run so far (don’t wanna jinx us though). Sleeping up to 5 hours at night – at least 3 hours between feeds at the moment.
Donna is a bit tired – but sooo much happier & more relaxed after the fact that “it’s all over” ! She was fairly nervous & worried leading up to the birth – knowing that it was gonna be an ordeal – and now she knows that she’ll NEVER have to go through that again !
Life has changed again – it feels amazing to have THREE kids. Was nice to load ‘em all into the car – and have a full back seat of kids – and to think about “us” – ie. the lives that Donna and I have created – and the family we’ve become.
Love you little Charlie. x x
Welcome to your new home – we think you’re gonna love it here….!
This one is the favourite one so far – he looks so alert – and full of “knowing” !
To complete the nerd’ing, there is a new sub-domain for Charlie – to follow on from Cameron and Liam :