Yesterday I went along to the “SoundWave festival” – akin to a BIG DAY OUT for metal-heads and without the usual junk of LilyPad and Boiler Room.
And – I gotta say straight up – it was probably the best festival I’ve been to for nearly 10 years – almost the best EVER.
Not just because of Nine Inch Nails (more on that later) – but :
- Smaller venue/layout + smaller crowd
- No “D” barrier + smaller main arena
- Good drinks tent / lot of room
- Awesome bands + great sound
It actually felt like about 2/3 the size of a normal Big Day Out – or perhaps even smaller than that. There was still LOADS of ppl everywhere – queues for food & drink, etc – but much better for a ‘festival’ spirit + vine.
Here’s how my day progressed :
- Drove in with a few mates, and quick a quick lap around to see what was where.
- Headed over to see FINCH. Didn’t really know then, was only 1/2 listening – but sounded OK.
- Was chatting up the back with a friend who’d just arrived (@abuttigieg) while @andyneumann was up closer – he ended up buying a shirt also for FINCH
- Wandered over to see UNEARTH in the Stage Four “metal tent”. They were awesome – some very heavy and brutal metal – great lights & smoke, etc – rocked the room – great band !
- Photo from mobile phone :
- Wandered around a bit more – some lunch – and checked out some shirts – tempted to get a Metallica shirt for Mr.4 – but was $25.
- Saw a Marilyn Manson shirt too – perfect for one of @laneyvb’s lads :
- Next stop was the “drinks” tent. I only had ONE bourbon can for the whole day – no beer – just the “vibe” was enough for me !
- Saw some of THE RED JUMPSUIT APPARATUS from the drinks area – but they seemed a bit dull, and too formulaic for my liking.
- Back to the “metal” tent for a quick look at POISON THE WELL and EVERYTIME I DIE
- Squashed into the queue at the Merchandise tent – and bought a NINE INCH NAILS shirt – and stubby holder (my usual purchase from BDO) – while half watching/listening to DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN
- And back to the “metal tent” (again) for 36 CRAZYFISTS – these guys were AMAZING – great crowd pleaser, and brilliant music. Got a few pics :
- AND – I did a video of the “wall of death”. The lead singer told everyone to “part down the middle” – and then when they started playing, they ran together to mosh…
- You have to see it to believe it – was incredible to watch – and terrifying !!
- Click the photo below to jump over to YouTube :
- Grabbed some dinner – and then caught the last 4-5 songs of LACUNA COIL. Had a bit of an “Evanescence” style – with a guy AND girl vocalist.
- They even did a Depeche Mode cover ! Very rich sounds, great muso’s, some great tunes – but not really my style.
- Was nearing the end of the day, only a few bands left – so I went to grab a spot up the front of where NINE INCH NAILS were to play – and could watch ALICE IN CHAINS from diagonally to the other stage.
- My god – ALICE IN CHAINS were brilliant ! I’d lived them back in the early-mid 1990’s – one of the better of the “grunge” era bands.
- Layne Stayley has since passed away (singer) – and the new singer is pitch perfect, and just a good fit for the band
- Lots of old hits – I knew a lot (most) of the songs – Angry Chair, Rooster, Dam That River, Would – basically a greatest hits show
- Was eagerly anticipating NINE INCH NAILS – check out the lighting rig – was only 4-5 people back from the barrier
Separate post to follow – re: NINE INCH NAILS
- After NINE INCH NAILS, I met up some friends, to compare notes about the bands we’d seen – as they had been to see IN FLAMES and LAMB OF GOD
- And – cheeky @andyneumann managed to get back stage !!
- Unknown to me, I’d received a text message during NINE INCH NAILS that simply said “Backstage at In Flames. I shit you not !”
- Suffice to say, we all had an AWESOME day !!
- Headed home – was stuck in the car park traffic for close to 1/2 an hour – and stopped off for a drink – and home just after midnight.
- Woke up today with sore knees, sore back, sore feet – and sore throat from yelling & singing along !! But – was fantastic !
Can’t wait till next year – and if the rumours I’ve heard about the headline band come true, it will be nothing sort of amazing ! (again)