Well, in memories at least. It sounds like the long-running battle to retain “The Palace” in St.Kilda has been run & lost, with the announcement that the venue will be closed, and bulldozed !
St Kilda’s Palace entertainment complex is to close next month after giving up a long-running battle over a planned $350 million redevelopment of the site.
The venue’s operators, Bradto Pty Ltd, today released a statement announcing The Palace would close on June 12.
A bit sad actually – it’s one of the few GREAT venues for up-and-close gigs, especially the smaller Heavy Metal shows. Here’s a list of some of the bands I’ve seen there – from the first show in 1990 (in no particular order) :
- Faith No More
- L7 – the first show I ever stage-dived, back when I was 18 years old, and about 18 kgs less !
- Kings Of The Sun – with The Screaming Jets as 1st band – to about 80 people, their first ever show in Melbourne
- Alice In Chains – tumbled over the crowd – onto the stage, and dived into the crowd after a push from (lead singer) Layne Staley
- Nirvana (!)
- Suicidal Tendancies
- Fear Factory (x3)
- Rollins Band – was on the barrier, and shook hands with Mr. Henry Rollins
- silverchair – filmed for MTV, to launch their “FreakShow” album. Over-18’s pub show – except “the band” !!
- Foo Fighters
- Filter + Shihad
- System Of A Down
- Lamb Of God
I’m sure there’s MANY more than I just can’t recall – will update as I remember more !