Had some discussions today about how to set a “wallpaper” that would be shown on a Windows Server 2003 box, very useful if you have MANY servers, and you want to know which one you’re connecting to – using a KVM switch, for example.
I’d done that previously, but couldn’t remember how I’d done it.
And so – after re-finding out – I thought I’d blog about it, for later reference [feel free to skip/ignore]
- Create a wallpaper, and save as BMP. Often useful to have the Server Name, Domain, IP Address, etc.
- Open the Registry Editor (regedit)
- Navigate to the following key :
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
- Set the path and filename for the wallpaper you’ve created (see below)
This BMP will then be shown as the “default” wallpaper – ie. when no-one is logged onto the server.
Filed under: Uncategorized |