DWS weekend away has been & gone. This was a 3-hour corporate function / conference – with an added bonus of a 2 night accomodation & meals package – and lots of interesting fun & games.
- Arrived on Friday arvo in our beat-up 1989 Nissan Pulsar – some amazing looks from the hotel bellhops – and VIP parking attendee/s !! Mazda had a blown water pump (more on that later).
- Cameron’s first weekend away from home – although found out at 4.30 am that he doesn’t really like the stale, stuffy air-conditioned hotel rooms at Crown Promenade (but who does)
- Conference session – group team-building exercise with every attendee having a bongo drum on their desk – and had an African tribal drumming lesson. Truly incredible to hear 220+ people all in sync. Lots of metaphors – “work together”, “sounds great when everyone’s in sync”, etc
- Guest speaker – Jeff Kennett – introduced as “the guy with the biggest shed in Victoria”. Great insights & thoughts on the world – and about his “National depression initiative” – Beyond Blue
- Further drumming – with colour-coded PVC pipes – which were a different “note”
- Presentation by DWS-MD Danny Wallis – and question & answer session
Afternoon on Saturday
- Video games session at Galactic Circus – until Cameron got freaked out by all the lights & noises
- Photo shoot for the C9 guy – from Microsoft / MSDN Channel 9 – photos to follow
- Corporate function – but not a “sit-down” event. More of a walk-about, stand-up, drink & eat affair. With band room, Karaoke room, disco room – and baby-sitting provided for Cameron & other kids
- Karaoke highlights – “New York, New York” – and “Highway To Hell” – by yours truly… 🙂
- Hangove cure – Yum Cha with friends in ChinaTown
- Took Cameron for a guided tours of the sights of Melbourne – Captain Cooks cottage, Fitzroy gardens, Birrarung Marr, Federation Square, Southbank markets, Yarra river – and back to Crown Casino.
- BUT – Cameron slept the whole way !!
More to follow – interesting news about Windows Vista, Namco games on XBox-360, Indigo/Avalon – and training course planned for next week – with Readify.